Welcome

This is one of my venues for therapy. I live too much in my head so I have strong feelings about everything and nothing. So this is my venting place.

Hope you find it entertaining.

Friday, April 28, 2006

Again I was watching VH1 Classics when a video comes on starring Hugo Weaving ("The Matrix Trilogy," "V for Vendetta"). It was a disco song from the soundtrack of a film he starred in called "Priscilla Queen of the Desert." I have never seen this film (as the_film_geek I hang my head in shame) but I am a fan of it's director, Stephan Elliot.

Stephan Elliot is from Australia and he has directed five feature films.

(The following filmography is from www.imdb.com)

Director
- filmography
(reverse chronological order)
  1. Venetian Wedding (2004)
  2. Eye of the Beholder (1999)
  3. Welcome to Woop Woop (1997)
  4. The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994)
  5. Frauds (1993)
But the films that stand out on the above list for me are "Welcome to Woop Woop" and "Eye of the Beholder."

I first watched "Eye of the Beholder" at the request of Mr. Higgs and I fell in love with it about halfway through. It's about a MI6 agent (Ewan McGregor) that goes rouge to stalk a woman (Ashley Judd) who may or may not be a serial killer. It's a strange but really good film.

In the early days of 2000, the IFC Channel used to play a documentary about the making of the film. And it was almost as good as the film itself. Unfortunately the doc is not on the dvd release and I haven't seen it in forever so if you come across it please let me know.

Mr. Higgs also informed me of the film Stephan Elliot made after his breakthrough film ("Priscilla Queen of the Desert"); "Welcome to Woop Woop."

"WtWW" is about a con man (Johnathan Schaech - "That Thing You Do") on the run from some mobsters. He decides to hide out in Australia where is kindnapped by his one night stand and taken to the abandoned (but still populated) mining town of Woop Woop. It was a funny, but again, strange film. You should see this film if you can.

Anyway, I haven't seen any ohter films by Stephan (and yes I'm going to rent "Priscilla" asap) but am looking foward to whatever he's got goming up.

This has been the_film_geek's Film Corner.

Next week we will be discussing the Fall of the Empire: Star Wars, George Lucas & How Much Money Is Enough?

Original Trilogy, BITCH!!!

1 comment:

christopher higgs said...

God bless you for giving props to S.E. - he is truly an underrated director. To this day I still force people to watch Eye of the Beholder because it is so bloody sweet...no one should die not having seen it.